Friday 29 January 2010

The First Blog..
So why blog?
Good question! I enjoy posting my thoughts on Twitter and have fast discovered that it's a really useful social networking tool which has become a brilliant way to keep up to date with people who listen to my radio show on Radio Pembrokeshire. I've got some really nice followers on there - from the County and beyond and I want my blog to be an extension of what goes on at www.twitter.com/benatbreakfast. It goes beyond that though. I've always enjoyed writing and that goes back to when I was 13 years old and became Press Officer for my local football team Swindon Supermarine FC and wrote weekly match reports for their award winning programme. Supermarine played their football in the Hellenic League in those days (Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge etc it was not!) but it was here I got to practice writing and also in a way practice for what was always my dream job - presenting on the radio. You see, at the age of 13 I was also tannoy announcer at Swindon Supermarine - how cool! As well as announcing the team line ups, I also had to produce a mix tape every week for all the home matches - my mixes had it all from Jimmy Nail to Europe so I was clearly setting myself up for my future career. I loved those care free days so maybe writing a blog each week (I'll try and publish it on a Friday Evening) I will fall back in love with writing, just like when I was 13...we'll see.

So who are you again?
Another good question and as I said above, for those reading this and don't know who I am - I'm really not famous! I host the Breakfast Show on 102.5 Radio Pembrokeshire every morning from 6-12 and can honestly say I love my job. I'm in my 2nd spell at Radio Pembrokeshire and to be able to enjoy a job as much as I do, I really do feel lucky every time the microphone goes up. We’ve got a cracking team in Narberth, including our Lunchtime Presenter Tommo and I’ve discovered some HUGE gossip on him this week. I can’t mention it yet but safe to say it would cause him huge embarrassment!!

My family and friends play a huge part in my life. I talk to my wife Becci (@mrs_stone83 on Twitter) every lunchtime and I text her as soon as I get to work. I’ve never met some who I can spend days on end with without getting annoyed or bored with, she’s clearly my best friend and soul mate. I speak on the phone to Tom my younger Brother at least twice a day and am in close touch with my Mum, Dad and Grandad. It’s the way I’ve always been, close enough to the people who are important to me so that we know we can always be there for each other, but not so close that you end up annoying one another – it’s a good place to be. My Grandparents have also played a big part in me working a living in this neck of the woods. Nanna and “Bopf” (more on where that name came from in the next few weeks) lived in Templeton, Saundersfoot and Lampeter Velfrey over a period of about 15 years (maybe slightly less) and we holidayed with them every summer holiday. That would involve Tom and I spending half of our holidays in Wales – and we loved their big garden and many fishing trips in Saundersfoot. The hardest radio show I’ve ever presented was on 9th June 2006 and it was the day after my Nanna died. I was Breakfast Presenter on our sister station Radio Carmarthenshire at the time and how I got through that programme I really don’t know. She never knew that I got the job of doing Breakfast on Radio Pembrokeshire – but I hope she’s proud of me.

So what will you blog about?
I guess the things that are in and on my mind. I'll attempt to pick up on something we've done on the radio show each week and also divulge a personal story or memory each week as well. One of things that I like doing on the radio is simply talking about normal things. The things that go on in my life and go on in the lives of my listeners - so I will try and do that here as well. I'll blog about why TV is so bad on a Wednesday and why we're not sure if our boy cat Rascal is a boy or a girl...in short I've probably not got much idea what'll be in the blog from week to week..but I will try and keep it interesting. I want to enjoy writing again, like when I was younger, so lets see what happens hey?

FAVOURITE MOMENT OF THE WEEK: Linette from St. Clears phoning in response to an item we were discussing that stated men only was their jeans once a month and after 15 wears. She said it made her stomach churn! Any views on this? I love the feeling of really worn in jeans!
NEXT WEEK: Feeding half the villagers in Lampeter Velfrey after a fishing trip on Swift...and maybe I’ll divulge some BIG gossip I have on my colleague Tommo..

2 comments:

  1. Well Ben, great to see you 'extending Twitter' like this! Having read it, I can confirm that this is definitely an extension of the Ben we all met and began to get to know on Radio Pembrokeshire, then Twitter and this will be a step further.

    Bit like an onion really!! Peeling away the layers of Mr Stone :)

    You're a brave man Sir! Looking forward to the next episode very much. Hope you get lots of people reading and commenting. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Ben, brilliant first blog! am looking forward to more :o)

    ReplyDelete